Hoisin-Glazed Salmon Burgers with Pickled Cucumber
- Yield: 6 servings
- 1/3cup water
- 1/4cup cider vinegar
- 1teaspoon sugar
- 1/2teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2teaspoon fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1/4teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 24 thin English cucumber slices
- 1/2cup Panko
- 2 to 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1tablespoon lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1teaspoon lime rind, grated
- 1 1/2pounds skinless wild, fresh or frozen, Alaskan salmon fillet, finely chopped
- 1large egg white
- 1 1/2teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 2tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 6 slider-size hamburger buns, toasted if desired
- Combine the first 6 ingredients for the cucumbers in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; add cucumber. Let stand 30 minutes. Drain.
- Combine panko and the next 7 burger ingredients (through egg white) in a bowl, and stir well. Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions, gently shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add sesame oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add patties; cook patties for 3 minutes on each side or until done. Brush tops of patties evenly with hoisin; cook for 30 seconds.
- Place 1 patty on bottom half of each bun; top each patty with 4 cucumber slices and top half of bun.
Result: These burgers are on the “large slider” side, so 1 with a side or 2 as a meal would be appropriate. I think a fun side would be an Asian slaw with cilantro or some grilled asparagus or other veggie. A quick, delicious meal perfect for summer. Enjoy.
Recipe courtesy of Nicole is a registered dietitian who believes in balance: love what you eat and be what you eat to live a long, healthy life. Her cooking style focuses on disease prevention in otherwise healthy people, emphasizing balance, moderation of all nutrients, and plentiful in what we know to be good. By day, Nicole is the Director of Nutrition Services at a Michigan hospital and by night, she is a home cook, wife, and healthy food blogger.
Nutritional Info *per serving
- Calories 263
- Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 47 mg
- Sodium 468 mg
- Carbohydrate 21.8 g
- Fiber .5 g
- Protein 21 g